J. Tucker Barr
Tucker is a partner and co-chair of the Intellectual Property practice, a member of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice, and co-chair of the Entertainment & Sports industry team.
Tucker works with clients to identify, clear, and register their trademarks. In addition to providing traditional trademark clearance, prosecution, and portfolio maintenance services, Tucker provides strategic advice to help clients overcome trademark conflicts through brand transitions, consent agreements and licenses, and trademark purchases and assignments. Tucker guides start-up companies and entrepreneurs, who often have little or no experience with trademarks, and helps them build lasting portfolios. Tucker’s litigation practice focuses on prosecuting and defending intellectual property claims, restrictive covenant and trade secret claims, and general commercial disputes.
Tucker assists U.S. and foreign companies with a wide variety of complex contracts with particular emphasis on technology agreements, software licensing, procurement contracts, SaaS agreements, and professional services agreements.
Clients also trust Tucker to help them with important marketing and advertising issues marketing and advertising issues. Tucker reviews his clients’ social media campaigns, advertising, and promotional materials to ensure compliance with applicable laws and internal brand guidelines and to avoid infringement of the copyrights, trademark rights, and publicity rights of others.
Prior to attending law school, Tucker played professional baseball with the Houston Astros organization. He draws upon this unique experience to be most effective as a leader of the Entertainment & Sports team.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, Mediation, & Arbitration
- Complex Business Disputes
- Copyright Prosecution & Counseling
- Employment Disputes
- Intellectual Property Counseling
Represented U.S. manufacturer in federal trademark infringement action against a former distributor. Obtained summary judgment on manufacturer’s trademark infringement claim, which included an award of treble damages and attorney’s fees. Successfully defeated distributor’s appeal of the district court’s summary judgment order in the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and petition for writ of certiorari to the United States Supreme Court.
Represented U.S. manufacturer of boating equipment in federal false advertising litigation against a competitor. Obtained a preliminary injunction on behalf of client requiring the competitor to cease distribution of promotional materials, remove pages from its website, issue retraction letters to customers, and undertake corrective advertising. Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of client prior to trial.
Represented sports agent in connection with separation of employment with sports agency and related restrictive covenant dispute.
Manage domestic intellectual property enforcement program for national quick service restaurant chain.
Manage the domestic and international trademark portfolio of a global pest control business.
Represent German software companies with the negotiation and drafting of licensing agreements with U.S. companies.
Represented developer of mobile health app in trademark litigation against a multi-billion dollar U.S. retail chain. Defeated motion to dismiss state trademark dilution claim and negotiated favorable settlement to client.
- Athlon Media Group – Leading Publisher’s Acquisition Enhances Offerings to Clients
- OliverMcMillan – Strong Tenant Interest at Two Luxury Retail Developments
- Shaky Knees Fest, LLC – Sound Advice on National Events is Music to Promoter’s Ears
- CryoLife, Inc. - Use of Cutting Edge E-Discovery Helps Procure Advantageous Settlement
- Georgia State University College of Law, Juris Doctor,magna cum laude
- Editor, Georgia State University Law Review
- Georgia Institute of Technology, Bachelor of Science - Management
- State of Georgia – 2004
- Superior Courts of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Georgia Restaurant Association
- International Trademark Association, 2005-present
- WTR 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, World Trademark Review, 2018-22
News & Insights
- NewsAGG and Four IP Partners Earn Recognition in 2023 WTR 1000February 13, 2023 | News Releases | Rankings & Recognition | World Trademark Review
- NewsAGG and IP Partners Tucker Barr and Anuj Desai Earn Recognition in 2022 WTR 1000March 7, 2022 | News Releases | Rankings & Recognition | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
- NewsArnall Golden Gregory and IP Partners Tucker Barr, Anuj Desai Recognized in 2021 WTR 1000February 18, 2021 | News Releases | Rankings & Recognition | Washington Business Journal