Our Retail industry team is one of the largest and most respected groups of retail real estate attorneys in the U.S. We provide actionable, practical legal advice and business guidance to landlords, tenants, retailers, property owners and managers, franchisors and franchisees, as well as developers, lenders, and investors. We also represent the real estate divisions of large private equity companies, and inbound foreign investors.
One of our core strengths is our collaborative approach and the inclusion on our team of a variety of extremely experienced retail attorneys who practice in legal disciplines that impact the industry. This multidisciplinary team works closely together and with our clients to achieve optimal results relating to acquisitions, financings, leasing, franchising, dispute resolution, tax, bankruptcy, workouts, and environmental due diligence. The breadth of our practice and expertise, coupled with our decades of industry experience, enables us to offer deep market insights that achieve successful outcomes to our clients’ most challenging deals and disputes.
Our clients include institutional investors, family businesses, construction companies, national retailers and restaurants, franchised brands and brokerage firms. We welcome deals and clients of all shapes and sizes, as such variety of clients mirrors the wide variety of personalities, transactions and perspectives within the retail industry itself. Our retail industry team welcomes the opportunity to work on transactions of all sizes, ranging from high profile, multi-block redevelopments to single parcel developments in rural America. Our brand representation ranges from the largest, most recognizable brands in the United States to start-up businesses and local entrepreneurs.
Team members frequently write about key issues that are important to retail clients, present to select groups, conduct training sessions, and are quoted in business publications. Each year, a large contingent of our retail industry team attends the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) RECon and U.S. Shopping Center Law conferences. Our team is also actively involved in leading real estate organizations including Urban Land Institute, the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL) and Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW).
- Represent the largest owner of retail real estate in the United States as its exclusive outside leasing counsel
- Represent the fastest growing franchise brand in the United States in 2018 as its franchise and outside real estate counsel
- Represent the fastest growing restaurant in the United States in 2018 as its outside leasing and operations counsel
- Serve as outside leasing counsel for large acclaimed retail redevelopment projects in the Buckhead community of Atlanta, Georgia and the River Oaks community in Houston, Texas, and for numerous regional and national landlords, including Westfield, Gregory Greenfield and Associates, Trademark and others.
- Serve as outside general real estate counsel for multiple restaurants and franchised concepts.
- Represent large mixed use projects nationally, such as Fifth + Broadway (Nashville), River Oaks (Houston), Pinecrest (Cleveland), Clayton Lane (Denver), Shops at Broad (Mansfield, TX), One Daytona (Daytona Beach, FL), The Shops Buckhead Atlanta (GA), White Provisions (Atlanta), Atlantic Station (Atlanta) and Warehouse Row (TN).
- Represent several of the largest regional property management firms in handling landlord/tenant disputes of all sizes.
- Represent Walt Disney Parks & Resorts U.S., Inc. in the redevelopment of Disney Springs (f/k/a Downtown Disney) in Orlando, Florida.
- Represent the real estate divisions of several of the ten largest private equity companies in the United States in ongoing shopping mall acquisitions, redevelopment, leasing and property management matters.
- Serve as a preferred vendor, and frequently as general outside counsel, for franchisees of wide variety of regionally and nationally franchised concepts in providing real estate, corporate and franchise counsel, including negotiating leases across the United States and Canada for child care systems, health care clinics, restaurants, service providers, apparel retailers and fitness facilities.
- Represent borrowers in refinancing of raw land and operating retail and mixed-use assets, including negotiation of securitized loan documents.
- Successfully defended landlord against claims for millions of dollars related to roof leak and recovered $350,000 for client on counterclaim for damages and fees.
- Representation of various clients in complex, high-end, restaurant negotiations, including with such notable restaurants as: Abattoir (Atlanta), The Farm House (Nashville), Empire State South (Atlanta), West Egg Café (Atlanta), Ormsby’s (Atlanta), The Optimist (Atlanta), Etch (Nashville), Garrido’s (Austin), MF Sushi (Atlanta), Bartaco (Atlanta), Cooks & Soldiers (Atlanta), Negril Village (Atlanta), Smokebelly (Atlanta), Sweet Auburn BBQ (Atlanta), The Southern Gentleman (Atlanta), Gypsy Kitchen (Atlanta), Bakersfield (Nashville), Two Ten Jack (Chattanooga), Tupelo Honey Café (Chattanooga), Ichiban (Atlanta), Yet-to-be-named Ford Fry Restaurant (Inman Park), World of Beer (Atlanta), Newk’s Express Café (Atlanta), Sweet Hut Bakery (Atlanta), Momma Goldberg’s Deli (Atlanta), The Big Ketch (Atlanta), Fado Irish Pub (Atlanta), Bread & Butterfly (Atlanta), Amer (Atlanta), Barcelona VinoTeca (Atlanta), Brash Coffee (Chattanooga), Corner Bakery Café (Atlanta), Perrine’s Wine Shop (Atlanta), Zoe’s Kitchen (Atlanta), Ford Fry Steakhouse Concept – Marcel (Atlanta), Hampton & Hudson (Atlanta), Revelator Coffee (Atlanta), Brash Coffee (Atlanta), Carolyn’s Gourmet Kitchen (Atlanta), Dtox Organic Juice and Junk (Atlanta), Stout Brothers (Atlanta), Cacao (Atlanta), Provenance (Raleigh), Sweet Auburn Seafood (Atlanta), Marco’s Pizza (Boca Raton), Freshii (Boca Raton), Herban Fix (Atlanta), Steadfast Coffee & Cocktails (Nashville), 42 & Lawrence (Raleigh), The Painted Duck (Atlanta) and Rreal Tacos (Atlanta).
- Represented a publically traded REIT in connection with the acquisition and financing of 8 grocery-anchored shopping centers located across Georgia, Florida, Texas and North Carolina for an aggregate purchase price of approximately $210,000,000.
- Won summary judgment for Atlanta Retailers Association of more than 800 stores in defense of a class action in which plaintiffs alleged that the group’s membership criteria and contracts with vendors discriminated on the basis of race and, therefore, violated 42 U.S.C. Section 1981.
- Serve as lead counsel for a national warehouse retailer in negotiating acquisitions, ground leases, and site development agreements for store sites in shopping centers throughout the United States.
- Serve as lead counsel for various investment and syndication firms in the acquisition and financing of big box and/or grocery anchored, multi-tenant shopping centers throughout the United States.
- Represent landlords and tenants in the negotiation of AIA construction contracts for construction of national retailers build-to-suit buildings, and space build-outs and remodels.
- Led due diligence team in the representation of an Australian based, vertically integrated fund manager in the acquisition of a 49% interest in a portfolio of 8 super-regional malls throughout the United States.
- Represent a multi-branded, publicly traded footwear and apparel retailer in the leasing and management of their retail portfolio.
- Representation of various developers / landlords in negotiations of big box leases, including sporting goods stores, craft stores, fashion and department stores, movie theaters, office supply stores and pet supply stores.
- Representation of regional developer in acquisition, redevelopment, leasing and re-financing of neighborhood shopping centers in Georgia and Alabama, including negotiation of big box anchor leases and restaurant ground leases.
- Represented largest MBE in the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport with various concessionaire disputes.
- Representation of retail real estate investment and development company in acquisition and leasing of shopping center outparcels in the mid-Atlantic and Southwest regions.
- Represented various retailers on their distribution facility leases, including one of over 1,000,000 square feet.
- Worked with a major retailer regarding its data breach, and particularly with regards to Congressional investigations and hearings.
- Representation of national developer with property management issues relating to regional mall ownership.
- Works with the National Retail Federation, National Association of Chain Drug Stores and other retail trade associations to support important data security and data breach policies.
- Century Restaurants, Inc. – Reorganization, refinancing strengthen large franchisee
- PPF RTL Atlantic Town Center, LLC; Hines – Unusual Approach Results in Nearly $1.3 Million Judgment for Landlord Client
- SMA, Ltd. – AGG Helps Real Estate Investor Solve Three Significant Challenges
- Belnick, Inc. – Recapitalization Helps Popular Online Retailer Continue on its Growth Path
- Sterling Restaurants, LLC – Acquisitions Double the Size of Franchise Company
- Jamestown – Unusual Lease Concerns Addressed in Innovative Rooftop Project
- OliverMcMillan – Strong Tenant Interest at Two Luxury Retail Developments
- Shane's Rib Shack - AGG Tapped to Defend the Company's Position and Uphold Termination
- Shops Around Lenox - AGG Successfully Defends Radius Restriction Enforceability and Protects Client's Interest
- Anonymous Client (Retail) - Special Use Permit
- Retail Minute or Two Video SeriesAGG Launches "Retail Minute or Two" Video Series
News & Insights
- EventsPhil Skinner and Ted Woodward Speaking at 13th Annual IBA Real Estate Investments ConferenceApril 19 - 21, 2023 | Speaking Engagements
- PublicationsWhen Declaring a Default Isn’t Enough: The Importance of a Demand for PossessionFebruary 28, 2023 | Articles | Alerts | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
- NewsJonathan Eady and Althea Broughton Named to Atlanta Magazine’s 2023 Atlanta 500January 30, 2023 | Rankings & Recognition | Atlanta Magazine
- Bankruptcy, Creditors' Rights, & Financial Restructuring
- Distressed Assets & Workouts
- Intellectual Property Counseling
- Intellectual Property Litigation
Retail Minute or Two
AGG’s Retail industry team is pleased to present the “AGG Retail Minute or Two,” a series that replaced our quarterly newsletter with short videos by our team members on topics of interest in our industry. The succinct videos are substantive and include observations on current market norms and future trends.
To access the Retail Minute or Two video series, and other AGG video content, click here.
- Jonathan L. Neville
- David J. Marmins