Our Retail Leasing practice is nationally recognized as one of the largest and most visible practices of its kind in the legal industry. For over thirty years, AGG has been negotiating leasing transactions of all varieties for developers, retailers, restaurants, and other service providers. Our tenant clients span all industries, from food service to fitness to childcare; Our landlord clients range from the largest owner of retail property in the world to small family businesses buying and selling triple-net investments. Our retail lawyers frequently participate in and speak at prominent industry events, including the annual ICSC Law Conference, where 1,700 of the nation’s retail leasing experts convene to explore various topics of interest and relevance. Because of our visibility, we have a network that often expedites negotiations and adds significant credibility to the clients’ transactional teams.
AGG’s retail leasing expertise includes focuses on the following:
- Big Box/Anchor Leasing. AGG has negotiated and continues to negotiate a significant number of big box/anchor leases on both landlord and tenant forms, including leases for newly constructed spaces as well as for second and third-generation premises.
- In-Line Leasing. Because of the significant depth of our retail team, we are able to handle the multitude of deals often associated with leasing a brand’s portfolio or a shopping center’s in-line, non-anchor premises. Whether on the tenant or landlord’s form, our in-line leasing expertise allows us to produce the timely turnarounds which are required for satisfying a company’s development plan or a developer’s leasing thresholds.
- Restaurant Leasing. A core aspect of our Retail team, we represent some of the fastest-growing, highest-profile restaurant brands in the country. However, equally relevant, our lawyers represent landlords in leasing to all different forms of food service companies, ranging from food court stalls in a mall to a 100,000 food hall in a major downtown development. We also have expertise in negotiating leases with local restaurant boutiques as well as helping restaurant franchisees maximize their growth potential.
- Mixed-Use Leasing. Increasingly relevant in today’s “post-Amazon” world, the sophistication of our Retail practice allows our lawyers to effectively negotiate mixed-use retail leases, which requires knowledge of office leasing, ground-up development, management and operational issues, and a host of other legal areas of expertise. Our team works collaboratively with both our clients and internal team members to ensure that all leases in a mixed-use project fit together as a perfect puzzle.
- Triple Net/Ground Leasing. Some of our largest clients specialize in the purchase, development, and selling of triple-net ground-leased parcels. In contrast, others focus on the leasing of ground leased parcels incorporated as part of a larger development. Similar to mixed-use leasing, our leasing attorneys specializing in ground leases know that development, title, and other skills need to be brought to the table to negotiate an effective document that achieves our clients’ needs, whether those needs be a successful, long-term business operation or a sale of the ground lease to an end-user in the investment market.
Acted as the lead attorney responsible for negotiating and drafting more than 30 restaurant, retail, and nightclub leases in ground floor/mezzanine spaces throughout New York City.
Represented developer and owner of retail centers in Laredo and the Rio Grande Valley and directed lease negotiations with Starbucks for their third location in Laredo.
Acted as lead counsel on behalf of the owner of a major regional mall located in west Houston with respect to three leases totaling 12,500 square feet of retail space.
Lead landlord attorney for the lease of 3,000 square feet of restaurant space in a west Houston retail center to a nationally branded sandwich chain.
Represented a Texas-based, casual Mexican restaurant chain in the negotiation of junior anchor restaurant leases throughout Texas.
Represented a major Houston-based restaurant holding company in relocation and lease negotiations in connection with the redevelopment of a major Houston shopping complex.
Lease for 4,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space in a new medical tower being constructed in west Houston to a nationally branded café/deli quick-service restaurant.
- Played a key role in the expansion of a developer’s footprint in the Rio Grande Valley through the acquisition of: (i) 3,400 acres of raw land, (ii) three retail centers comprising 110,000 square feet, (iii) 30,000 square foot office building and (iv) and five industrial buildings.
Lead attorney representing the seller of a 50,000 square foot office building in Houston.
Acted as the lead attorney responsible for negotiating and drafting more than 80 commercial office leases in New York City and Long Island, New York.
Represented owner and developer of a 104,000 square foot office building in Houston and 42,000 square foot office building in San Antonio.
Represented the owner of a newly constructed office building in Houston’s Energy Corridor in leasing more than 100,000 square feet of office space to a multinational, foreign-based oil-field services engineering firm.
Served as lead landlord attorney in a lease for 96,000 square feet of office space to a major Houston-based independent natural gas exploration and production company.
Represented a landlord in a relocation of a Houston-based oil-field services engineering firm tenant to more than 48,000 square feet of office space
Negotiated and drafted a lease on behalf of a landlord for 20,000 square feet of office space for a Houston-based insurance holding company.
Coordinated the purchase of a 215,000 square feet remanufacturing facility in Killeen, Texas.
Coordinated the relocation of twelve medical professional offices in connection with a planned renovation of an existing hospital located in a west Houston medical campus.
Relocation and expansion of medical office space totaling 12,000 square feet and a new lease for 4,000 square feet of additional medical office space in an adjoining professional medical tower located in a west Houston medical campus.
Acted as the lead attorney responsible for negotiating and drafting more than 40 medical office leases in New York City and Long Island, New York.
- Managed global commercial leasing matters, including managing outside counsel and brokers, for over 300 leases.
News & Insights
- PublicationsSCOTUS Unanimously Rules Mall of America Can Challenge Sears’ $10-Per-Year LeaseMay 3, 2023 | Articles | Alerts | American Bar Association
- NewsAGG Continues Growth in Atlanta and D.C. Offices With Addition of Four Attorneys in Key Practice AreasMay 1, 2023 | News Releases | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
- EventsPhil Skinner and Ted Woodward Speaking at 13th Annual IBA Real Estate Investments ConferenceApril 19 - 21, 2023 | Speaking Engagements
- Jonathan L. Neville
- Scott M. Shuman