Jennifer L. Shelfer
Jennifer is a partner in the Litigation practice. She has experience counseling and defending clients in employment matters, conducting employment-related internal investigations, fiduciary litigation, business torts, and general commercial litigation. In addition, she has represented several clients in insider trading matters. Jennifer serves as Assistant General Counsel to the firm and is a member of the firm’s Women’s Initiative and Diversity Committee.
Prior to attending law school, Jennifer earned a Master’s degree in Forensic Psychology from the University of Denver. She joined AGG following a two-year federal clerkship with the Honorable John Antoon II of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
Jennifer is on the Board of Directors of Ahava Early Learning Center, and she routinely provides pro bono legal services through the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation. She is married and has two young boys.
Obtained plaintiff’s verdict on claims of misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract following two-week jury trial and recovered client’s property against former partner of highly specialized biotechnology company.
Represented developer in claims against contractor that misappropriated construction proceeds; secured favorable settlement in excess of sums taken.
Supported arbitration and resolution of multi-million dollar controversy between aerostructures supplier and business jet manufacturer.
Secured favorable settlement in million-dollar lease dispute on behalf of tenant regarding landlord’s miscalculation of operating expenses.
Represented custom homes builder in claims against project manager for embezzlement of company funds using corporate credit card; recovered full sum taken.
Obtained summary judgment on unpaid account, collected judgment by garnishment, and negotiated favorable post-judgement settlement.
Obtained $36 million judgment in favor of hospital lender, while simultaneously defeating claims of alleged “mismanagement” under hospital management agreement.
Represented endodontist in claims against practice management company for embezzlement and fraud; secured favorable settlement.
Assisted in obtaining full defense summary judgment on behalf of tenant, national third party logistics provider, against landlord’s allegations of breach of contract, tortious interference, fraud, and negligent misrepresentation in United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
Litigated and supported favorable resolution in mediation of race discrimination claims against plastics manufacturer.
Represented estate in claims against former accountant for wrongfully taking funds from joint account following decedent’s death.
Represented tenant in eviction proceedings and defeated claims for back rent and securing $15,000 judgment against landlord for failing to maintain premises in habitable condition.
Represented tenant in lawsuit against landlord for failure to maintain premises; secured favorable judgment.
Represented tenant in lawsuit against landlord for failure to maintain premises; secured favorable settlement.
Secured dismissal of claims of negligence and misrepresentation by shareholder related to sale of his securities.
Secured dismissal of federal lawsuit seeking determination that business was not obligated to register its shares with the SEC.
Secured dismissal of lawsuit alleging age, gender, race, and disability discrimination against energy company.
Secured dismissal of lawsuit alleging gender discrimination and retaliation against international manufacturer of vision inspection systems.
Secured dismissal with prejudice from the SEC of insider trading allegations against CEO of public healthcare company.
Secured favorable settlement on behalf of minor child against grandmother’s estate on claims of incompetence and undue influence in execution of will.
Secured full defense summary judgment on employee’s claims of race discrimination, pay disparity, and retaliation on behalf of specialty foods distributor, which was affirmed on appeal.
Successfully defended trustee in defense of claims of undue influence and breach of fiduciary duty in effort to dismantle trust and will, and obtained judgment finding that trust was valid and that challenger to trust her interest in trust.
- Chattanooga-Hamilton County Hospital Authority d/b/a Erlanger Health System – Trial Court Awards $36 Million to Client
- Helga Glock – AGG Convinces 11th Circuit to Establish New Law in Discovery Related to Cross-Border Litigation
- Long County, Ga., Board of Commissioners and Board of Education - Innovative Solution to Redistricting Problem
- CryoLife, Inc. - Suit Dismissed After AGG Challenges Federal Court Jurisdiction
- CryoLife, Inc. - Use of Cutting Edge E-Discovery Helps Procure Advantageous Settlement
- Florida State University College of Law, Juris Doctor,summa cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Law Review, Notes and Comments Editor
- Recipient of the Editor-in-Chief’s Piece Editor of the Year Award
- Moot Court, Editorial Chair
- Book Awards in Legal Writing and Research I, Contracts II, Employment Discrimination, Federal Jurisdiction, Appellate Advocacy, Supreme Court Roleplay (as Justice Scalia), Florida Civil Practice, Constitutional Criminal Procedure II, and Federal Criminal Law
- University of Denver, Master of Arts
- Thesis: The DUSR: A Predictor for Relapse?
- Emory University, Bachelor of Arts
- Psi Chi Honors Society
- Kappa Alpha Theta Fraternity
- State of Georgia – 2008
- State of Florida – 2006
- American Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Editor-in-Chief’s Piece Editor of the Year Award, Law Review, Florida State University College of Law, 2006
- Book Awards in Legal Writing and Research I, Contracts II, Employment Discrimination, Federal Jurisdiction, Appellate Advocacy, Supreme Court Roleplay (as Justice Scalia), Florida Civil Practice, Constitutional Criminal Procedure II, and Federal Criminal Law; Florida State University College of Law, 2006
News & Insights
- PublicationsFTC Proposes Ban on Employment-Related Non-Compete AgreementsJanuary 24, 2023 | Alerts | Articles | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
- Events2022 AGG Employment Law Seminar: Back to BasicsNovember 17, 2022 | AGG Seminars & Webinars | Atlanta, Georgia
- PublicationsSupreme Court Hears Oral Argument Over the Fate of OSHA’s ETSJanuary 10, 2022 | Alerts | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP