Madison M. Pool
Madison is a partner in the Healthcare practice, a member of the firm’s Hospitals & Health Systems industry team, and a co-chair of the firm’s Women’s Initiative. Madison focuses her practice on providing regulatory counseling in the healthcare, healthcare technology, and life sciences industries. She represents a range of clients, including hospitals, health systems, physician and other practitioner groups, post-acute providers, and private equity investors. Madison provides guidance on federal and state issues relating to privacy and security (HIPAA/HITECH Act), telehealth, regulatory compliance and investigations, self-disclosures and repayments, state licensure and permit matters, conditions of participation and reimbursement issues, operational contracting, and regulatory diligence in healthcare transactions.
Prior to joining AGG, Madison served as in-house counsel to a national healthcare information technology company, where she provided counseling with a practical, operational focus. Madison graduated from Emory University School of Law, receiving a Juris Doctorate, with honors, and graduated magna cum laude from the University of Georgia, receiving a Bachelor of Science in Biology and a Bachelor of Science in Psychology. During law school, she served as president of the Health Law Society; while at the University of Georgia, she was a research assistant in the UGA Clinical and Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory.
Advised clients with regard to investigations and responses to HIPAA breaches.
Advised clients with regard to HIPAA-related investigations by the Office for Civil Rights.
Advised clients on HIPAA compliance matters that arise in the course of operations, including analyzing permitted uses and disclosures of protected health information, negotiating business associate agreements, reviewing and revising policies and procedures.
Advised multi-state physician group on state and federal regulatory considerations for prescribing via telemedicine.
Advised telehealth management company on state and federal regulatory considerations in proposed business model.
Represented multi-hospital system in negotiations with contracted telehealth provider company for expansion of telehealth offering by the hospital system.
Advised clients in compliance analyses and internal investigations, including making resulting self-disclosures to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and the Office of Inspector General for matters involving Stark or Anti-Kickback issues, as well as repayments to MACs for billing and reimbursement matters.
Assisted clients with development of compliance programs.
Conducted healthcare regulatory diligence in multiple transactions with a variety of provider types.
Represented a large, multi-hospital health system in its merger with another large, multi-hospital health system, including conducting regulatory diligence and managing extensive document review process.
Represented a publicly traded REIT in a $1.125 billion acquisition and restructuring of a senior housing provider that operates 96 senior-living communities as well as pharmacies in the Midwest.
Assisted in the expedited sale of Midwest-based ambulance provider.
- Emory University School of Law, Juris Doctor,with Honors
- Emory Law Journal, Managing Editor
- Emory Health Law Society, President
- ABA/BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of Health Law
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement in the Study of Health Law
- Emory Pro Bono Certificate
- University of Georgia, Bachelor Science - Biology and Psychology,magna cum laude
- Bernard Ramsey Honors Scholar
- CURO-Biomedical and Health Sciences Institute Summer Fellow
- State of Georgia – 2013
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Best Lawyers in America®: Ones To Watch, Healthcare Law, 2021-23
- “Up & Coming,” Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers, Healthcare, 2023
News & Insights
- EventsAGG Sponsoring Atlanta Women’s Foundation 2023 All Women Forward EventJune 15, 2023 | Conferences | Atlanta, Georgia
- NewsAGG Earns Significant Practice and Attorney Rankings in Chambers USA 2023 GuideJune 1, 2023 | News Releases | Rankings & Recognition | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
- NewsArnall Golden Gregory’s 2023 Partner Class Featured in Daily ReportMay 30, 2023 | In the News | The Daily Report
- Hospital Facility Fees and Telehealth During COVID-19 Pandemic Revisited
- OCR’s HIPAA Enforcement Discretion: Business Associates May Use and Disclose PHI for Public Health and Health Oversight Activities to Combat COVID-19
- OCR Issues HIPAA Telehealth FAQs
- HIPAA Waivers and Compliance in COVID-19 Pandemic