Steven A. Kaye
Steve is a partner in the Real Estate practice and chairs the Healthcare Real Estate industry team. He counsels owners, developers, and users of senior housing facilities, medical office buildings, and other healthcare facilities, and also in connection with office buildings and hospitality assets. Steve has significant experience representing public and private real estate investment trusts (REITs), private equity funds, and institutional investors in connection with portfolio acquisition, disposition, leasing, financing, and recapitalization transactions, as well as with dispossession of distressed tenants, including licensed operators of healthcare facilities.
- Represents Griffin-American Healthcare REITs in connection with its acquisition of regulated healthcare facilities, including portfolios of assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities, memory care facilities, long term acute care hospitals and surgical centers. Each transaction utilized a complex structure involving a master lease, multiple subleases, guaranties, letters of credit and inter-creditor agreements. Certain transactions utilized a RIDEA structure. Also counsel the REIT on distressed senior housing portfolio tenants, including lease terminations, pre-bankruptcy strategy, and the replacement of defaulted licensed facility operators.
Represents White Oak Healthcare REIT in connection with its acquisition and financing of regulated healthcare facilities, including portfolios of assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities, and memory care facilities. Transactions utilized master lease or RIDEA structure. Lease transactions also involved letters of credit and inter-creditor agreements.
Represented private REIT in the $300 million sale of a sub-REIT which owned a portfolio of skilled nursing facilities.
Represent a Dallas-based private equity firm in connection with its joint venture investment with various regional and national developers and co-investors for the development, acquisition and financing of healthcare real estate assets, including medical office buildings, LTACHs and senior housing properties.
Represent two national labor and employment law firms in negotiation of office leases, lease amendments and related documents, including SNDA agreements, construction agreements and letters of credit.
Represented national personal injury law firm in connection with its office leasing needs, including renewal and expansion of its 50,000 Atlanta office lease.
Represented apparel retailer Carter’s, Inc. in the negotiation of construction-related contracts in connection with its lease of a 224,000 sf, first-generation national headquarters space.
Represented regional owner of 2.5 million square foot portfolio of flex and mid-rise office properties, including acquisition, sale, leasing, finance and recapitalization transactions.
Represented joint venture in connection with its purchase of a 476,000 square foot office building and all subsequent leasing, recapitalization and financing transactions.
Represented national stock exchange in connection with its development, construction and leasing of a 35,000 rentable square foot Tier 4 data center.
Represented office building tenant’s purchase of its 400,000 square foot building, and the subsequent leasing and financing/recapitalization transactions.
Represented a publicly-traded REIT in connection with its land purchase, development and leasing of 714,000 square-foot regional shopping center, including leases and parcel re-sales to national retail tenants.
Represent owner of 1.1 million square foot multi-use property in connection with all leasing activities, including several leases in excess of 100,000 square feet.
Represented a publicly traded REIT in a $1.125 billion acquisition and restructuring of a senior housing provider that operates 96 senior-living communities as well as pharmacies in the Midwest.
Represented leading regional full-service eye care provider in connection with its real estate facility leasing, acquisition and finance transactions.
- Becker Ventures, LLC – Chicago’s Landmark Hard Rock Hotel Rebranded, Refinanced
- Nine-Facility Portfolio Acquired in $110 Million Deal
- Trio Healthcare Investors, LLC – AGG Moves Quickly to Help Executives Start Company in Multifaceted Deal
- Griffin-American Healthcare REIT II - Innovative Three-Party Deal Restructuring Satisfies All Involved
- SSC Equity Holdings, LLC - Landlord’s Demand for $13 Million Rent Hike Preliminarily Enjoined
- Northwestern University Law School, Juris Doctor
- University of Michigan, Bachelor of Arts
- State of Georgia
- The National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA)
- Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law, 2023
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers, Real Estate, multiple years
News & Insights
- NewsAGG Recognized as a 2022 Healthcare Influencer by GlobeSt.com and the GlobeSt. Real Estate ForumDecember 2, 2022 | Rankings & Recognition | GlobeSt.com
- NewsAGG Attorney Recognition in The Best Lawyers in America® Increases by More Than 50 Percent in 2023 EditionAugust 18, 2022 | Rankings & Recognition | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
- NewsAGG Recognized as a 2020 Healthcare Influencer by GlobeSt.com and the GlobeSt. Real Estate ForumDecember 9, 2020 | Rankings & Recognition | GlobalSt.com