Mark A. Gould Jr.
Mark Gould is co-leader of the Alternative & Renewable Energy team and is a partner in the Real Estate practice. He focuses his practice on the representation of clients developing significant mixed-use and urban redevelopment projects, renewable and alternative energy facilities, and multi-family affordable housing. These transactions often involve complex financing structures that incorporate low-income housing tax credits, energy tax credits, tax-exempt bonds, public-private partnerships, and other types of conventional or subsidized financing. Mark also has substantial experience in the development and leasing of office buildings and shopping centers and has represented European institutional clients in connection with investments in office, retail, and resort properties throughout the U.S. and Australia. He has also assisted industrial clients with the acquisition of warehouse facilities in the Caribbean and several renewable energy initiatives around the U.S.
Mark enjoys traveling and has been to 44 countries on six continents, as well as all 50 states and all 10 Canadian provinces. He also is a trivia buff and was a contestant on the original prime-time version of “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.” Additionally, Mark was a sports broadcaster in college and worked alongside his fraternity brother, ESPN’s Chris “Boomer” Berman, during football season.
Represented Jacoby Development in connection with the development of Aerotropolis, a mixed use project located on the 120-acre site of the former Ford Motors Assembly Plant adjacent to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. Phases included the sale of property acres to Porsche for the development of its North American headquarters, the sale of property to the City of Atlanta and the proposed construction of a parking facility covered by solar panels.
Represented affiliates of Rodamco, a European institutional investor, in the acquisition of 49 percent or greater interests in major regional shopping centers and trophy office buildings throughout the United States and Australia. Also represented Rodamco in the acquisition of significant interests in luxury hotels and resorts throughout the United States and the Caribbean.
Represented the developer of a mixed use condominium and retail project in downtown Atlanta, financed in part with Tax Allocation District bonds and New Markets Tax Credits.
Negotiated a Solar Energy Procurement Agreement on behalf of Emory University for the installation of solar facilities at 17 rooftop and parking deck sites across campus.
Represented an international food distribution company in connection with its acquisition of a frozen food warehouse and ancillary operations in the Bahamas.
Represented a Dutch investor in the acquisition and operation of The Frog resort and golf course, together with a majority interest in related hotel and residential development.
Assisting several national and international renewable energy development and investment companies in the acquisition, structuring and financing of solar development projects in Georgia and the negotiation of related local tax abatement and other economic development incentives.
Represented an international food distribution company in connection with its renewable energy initiatives around the country, including the procurement of solar energy for 18 sites in Texas, rooftop solar on a warehouse in New Jersey, and the development of an electric vehicle fleet for facilities in northern California.
Represented Integral Properties in connection with the development of Assembly, a mixed use project located on the site of the former General Motors Assembly Plant in Doraville, Georgia. Phases included the refinancing of the site using Tax Allocation District bonds and the sale of parcels to the developers of office and multifamily residential projects.
Negotiated a 20-floor lease with State Street Bank and Trust Company, the anchor tenant of a prominent 1,000,000 square feet office building in Boston, including coordination of complex asbestos abatement and tenant relocation programs during renovation and restructuring.
Represented Prentiss Properties in connection with the development and construction financing of a prominent 50 story office tower and the ultimate sale of the building to a Japanese institutional investor.
Representing NuRock Properties with respect to the development and financing of numerous multi-family affordable housing complexes in Georgia, Florida and Texas, using federal tax credits and tax-exempt bond financing.
Represented a major healthcare provider in complex financing arrangements for the development of a new 180,000 square foot medical facility.
Negotiating a Solar Energy Procurement Agreement on behalf of the owner of a multi-building office complex for the installation of solar facilities at several sites around the project.
Represented Colonial Pipeline Company in the acquisition of 159 miles of oil pipelines and related tank farms and pumping facilities in Louisiana and Mississippi.
Represented Costco Wholesale in the acquisition and development of new stores across the Southeast.
Represented the owner of the Marriott Sawgrass resort complex in Florida, including the negotiation of hotel management agreements, golf course access agreements and the ultimate sale of the property to an international institutional investor.
- Walton Communities – AGG Advises on Multiple Aspects of Affordable Housing Project
- Hecate Energy LLC – AGG Helps Solar Project Developer Realize Maximum Tax Benefit
- Jacoby Development – Porsche Selects ‘Aerotropolis’ Site for New HQ
- Beltline Energy - AGG Structures Deal Benefiting Developer and Community
- Fronius USA, LLC - AGG Negotiates $20 Million Incentive Package
- Emory University School of Law, Juris Doctor
- American Jurisprudence Award in Property Law
- Member of Board, Emory Law Journal
- Brown University, Bachelor of Arts - Economics
- State of Georgia – 1983
- Georgia Large Scale Solar Association
- Georgia Solar Energy Association (formerly on Board of Directors)
- American Bar Association, Section of International Law (former Co-Chair of Cross Border Real Estate Committee and former Co-Chair of International Energy and Natural Resources Committee)
- American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law, 2020-23
News & Insights
- NewsAGG Attorney Recognition in The Best Lawyers in America® Increases by More Than 50 Percent in 2023 EditionAugust 18, 2022 | Rankings & Recognition | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
- NewsArnall Golden Gregory Attorneys Recognized in 2022 Best Lawyers in America GuidesAugust 19, 2021 | News Releases | Rankings & Recognition | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
- NewsArnall Golden Gregory Attorneys Recognized in 2021 Best Lawyers in America GuidesAugust 20, 2020 | News Releases | Rankings & Recognition | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP