Richard T. Collins
Rich is a partner in the Healthcare practice with more than 25 years of experience representing clients in healthcare litigation. An aggressive advocate, Rich has recovered millions of dollars from insurance companies for his clients across the country.
Dedicated to serving healthcare providers who have been wrongfully denied payment for services and policyholders denied medically necessary treatment, Rich has represented a variety of providers and other professionals in matters involving insurance recovery, business litigation, and administrative and regulatory matters. Additionally, healthcare professionals and organizations often seek Rich’s guidance related to operations, regulatory compliance, and transactions.
Rich is committed to enforcing laws to ensure affordable, equitable, and accessible healthcare. In a fight against the nation’s opioid epidemic, Rich brought actions under the Drug Dealer Liability Act and common law against those who irresponsibly prescribed, distributed, and dispensed prescription drugs to individuals without a medical necessity. Rich has also represented patients and healthcare providers against insurance companies for violations of state insurance laws and federal laws, including the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Paul Wellstone and Pete Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008, Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (“ERISA”), Federal Employees Health Benefits Act of 1959, and others.
Rich actively makes efforts to change the policies and procedures of insurance companies to ensure patients receive optimal healthcare. When insurance companies deny coverage for new treatments that become available due to medical advancements, such as proton beam radiation therapy for the treatment of cancer, Rich has filed class action lawsuits to hold these companies accountable.
Rich previously worked for a national insurance company and represented insurance companies at the beginning of his legal career. He now leverages his experience on both sides of the aisle to provide his clients with unparalleled knowledge of the ins and outs of handling insurance cases.
Due to the significant nature of the healthcare and prescription drug matters he handles, Rich has been featured in stories by ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, the Los Angeles Times, the Boston Globe, the Star Tribune, NowThis News, and other media outlets.
- Whittier Law School, Juris Doctor
- University of California, Bachelor of Arts - Political Science
- State of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Healthcare Law Section
- Insurance Law Section
- State Bar of California
- Best Lawyers in America®, Insurance Law, 2021-23
- “Lawyer of the Year,” Insurance Law, 2023
- California Super Lawyers, 2015-23
News & Insights
- EventsRich Collins to Speak at Rx and Illicit Drug Summit 2023April 12, 2023 | Speaking Engagements | Atlanta, Georgia
- PublicationsCurbs on ERISA Class Action Litigation Could Impact Provider ReimbursementsMarch 29, 2023 | Articles | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
- PublicationsThe Cost of Not Covering Proton Radiation TherapyMarch 29, 2023 | Articles | Arnall Golden Gregory LLP