Matthew M. Lavin
Matt is a Healthcare and Commercial Litigation partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. He leads one of the most aggressive and respected provider-side reimbursement practices in the country. Matt’s cases are regularly reported on in Becker’s, Modern Healthcare, Bloomberg, and other publications. Matt prides himself on being on the right side of healthcare, routinely taking on the big issues in high-stakes cases.
Matt has experience with practically every aspect of the healthcare industry including private and public payer relationships, reimbursement disputes, audits, third-party repricing and cost containment, marketing, financing, government relations, regulatory compliance, and licensing.
He has successfully resolved countless reimbursement disputes with payers such as Aetna, Anthem, AmeriHealth, Ambetter, Beacon, Centene, HealthNet, Humana, Cigna, UnitedHealthcare, HealthNet, Magellan, Blue Shield California, BCBS TX, and many other Blue Card Network plans. Matt also has expertise in suits against ‘cost-containment’ vendors who egregiously underprice the value of out-of-network claims. He is skilled at addressing unjust overpayment demands, pre-payment reviews, and audits.
Matt is a lawyer who always puts his client’s needs first and is often able to settle matters without litigation.
Represents physicians in cases against commercial and public payers in state and federal courts, nationwide.
Represents multiple emergency medicine physician practices as plaintiffs in a civil RICO action against a major payer and its cost containment vendor.
Lead counsel for plaintiffs in two ERISA class actions in California federal courts against major payers who systematically underpay claims for certain services.
Represents providers in a RICO class action against a major payer accused of using illegal medical necessity guidelines to systematically deny behavioral health claims.
Represents multiple behavioral health facilities in a $40M suit in federal court against BCBS Michigan for illegally underpaying thousands of patient claims.
Represents Florida physicians and facilities in a $50M state court suit against Florida Blue for systematically denying claims.
- Tulane University, Juris Doctor
- New York University, Bachelor of Arts
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for Western District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
News & Insights
- EventsMatt Lavin to Join Rehab Owners Community for Monthly Masterminds Call on Understanding Payor BehaviorMarch 14, 2023 | Speaking Engagements
- EventsMatt Lavin Participating on Managed Care Litigation Panel Hosted by Atlanta Bar AssociationJanuary 20, 2023 | Speaking Engagements | Atlanta, Georgia
- NewsMatt Lavin Quoted in Law360 Article Titled “Billing Contractor Must Fork Over Docs in Surprise-Billing Suit”December 2, 2022 | In the News | Law360