Arnall Golden Gregory’s Entertainment and Sports Practice is dedicated to serving industry clients in all areas of film, television, radio, theater, music, the visual arts, literature and sports. Our attorneys are experienced in a variety of matters, such as contract negotiations, financing, intellectual property rights, wealth transfer and charitable planning, to name a few. We are especially strong in guiding our clients when entertainment intersects with economic development and the availability of incentives, including tax credits, can make or break the project. Several notable projects are highlighted below as representative of the work our attorneys do in these areas.
AGG counsels major and independent film production companies in connection with all legal matters related to film production, including film financing and the utilization and sale of tax credits, film distribution, and artist and producer agreements. We also negotiate on behalf of film artists, filmmakers and producers.
- Represented a major film studio with film projects and tax credit advice
- Represented an independent film company with private placement, producer agreements, talent agreements and Georgia film tax credit advice
AGG's Entertainment and Sports Practice provides legal advice to entertainment production companies on intellectual property issues and has been involved in the negotiation of television production agreements, financing matters, talent agreements and agency agreements.
- Assisted the producers of a hit reality television show with the negotiation of numerous development agreements
- Represented a television production company in its formation, fundraising efforts and talent agreements
Our attorneys assist theatrical production companies in a variety of areas, such as negotiation of contracts with on-stage and other creative talent, licensing of music and other intellectual property matters, and all legal issues associated with live-stage productions.
- Assisted a live-theatre production company with legal matters associated with its international tour, including its formation, private placement, venue and artist agreements, and intellectual property matters
- Provide pro bono legal assistance to the Center for Puppetry Arts on all contract, licensing and intellectual property matters
Our team has represented recording artists signed to major and independent labels, unsigned artists, songwriters, composers, producers, venues, touring/production companies, management teams, recording studios, record labels, music retailers and a national association of independent media stores. We also provide legal counsel on the use of music in film, television, advertising, theatrical productions and other media.
- Successfully defended a multi-million selling Grammy Award-winning recording artist in a copyright infringement suit
- Assisted (via litigation and negotiation) the principal songwriter in a popular classic rock band to reclaim the rights to his catalog of songs from his former manager and publisher
- Act as general contract and licensing counsel to a Grammy-winning record label that specializes in historical reissues
- General counsel to award-winning national concert tour, The Railroad Revival Tour
- General counsel to Shaky Knees and Shaky Boots Music festivals
Our team counsels clients through the literary process from start to finish. Among other matters, we negotiate with literary agents and publishing houses on behalf of authors and help clients protect their intellectual property.
- Negotiated literary agency and book publishing agreements for authors
- Licensed out-of-print works for re-publication
AGG’s Entertainment and Sports Practice advises professional athletes with respect to the negotiation of endorsements deals, asset acquisition and sale, investments and asset protection matters. We also provide athletes legal counsel on estate planning and administration matters, and charitable planning and exempt organizations. We are especially strong in helping athletes navigate the legal complexities related to their ancillary business initiatives beyond their core career.
- Counseled a professional athlete in his successful investment in a $20 million office building, and with numerous other investments
- Assisted numerous professional athletes with the formation of charitable foundations and estate planning matters, and with endorsement agreements
- Represented a number of professional wrestlers with contract negotiations and intellectual property matters
Festivals and Events
Members of our team represent the owners and promoters of large, annual music festivals and food and beverage festivals in connection with all aspects of their events, including contracts and licensing relating to festival sites, talent, ticketing, vendors, sponsors, contractors, exhibitors, volunteers, marketing and promotional contests, terms and conditions of admission, performance rights, security, transportation, lodging, production and staging.
- Serve as outside general counsel to the Atlanta Food & Wine Festival in connection with all aspects of its annual event.
- Serve as outside general counsel to the Shaky Knees Music Festival and Shaky Boots Music Festival.
- Counsel to the Railroad Revival Tour, a travelling music festival that centered around transportation across North America by rail car.
- Counsel to Live Production, Staging, Lighting and Sound Company.